Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this home was designed by architect Henry Dubin, and dates from 1930. Its “watershed” modern design is in the International Style made famous by the Bauhaus school in Germany, of which Dubin visited. Built as his personal residence, this home’s design was heavily influenced by Swiss architect Le Corbusier, who Dubin met while touring projects in France.
Structurally, the home is engineered for fire safety with sheets of steel decking, or floor plates, welded to the vertical steel framing. The similarity to methods of ship building earned the home the nickname the “Battledeck House”. The restoration focused on returning the exterior back to its original design finishes. All masonry was repaired, tuckpointed and painted in its original unifying color, deteriorated slate window hoods were replaced, original ornamental metals and exterior light fixtures were restored, and all flat roofing was replaced.
Original Architect: Henry Dubin
Restoration Architect: Johnson Lasky Kindelin Architects